- 10 ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Have ready a large bowl of iced water.
- Plunge whole tomatoes in boiling water until skin starts to
peel, 1 minute.
- Remove with slotted spoon and place in ice bath.
- Let rest until cool enough to handle, then remove peel and squeeze out seeds.
- Chop 8 tomatoes and puree in blender or food processor.
- Chop remaining two tomatoes and set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in oil and butter until onion starts to soften, 5 minutes.
- Pour in pureed tomatoes.
- Stir in chopped tomato, basil, Italian seasoning and wine.
- Place bay leaf and whole celery stalks in pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Stir in tomato paste and simmer an additional 2 hours.
- Discard bay leaf and serve.
- Use it for any pasta dish.
- Add a cup or so of milk or half and half, blend and then warm it up for a flavorful tomato soup.
- Spread it on french bread halves, top with mozzarella and any other toppings for a French Bread pizza.
- Roasting tomatoes is the secret to a sweet and fresh tasting sauce, even after it’s been jarred or frozen. Lather tomatoes and garlic in olive oil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and roast low and slow. Give them a blast in the blender, and thats it.
<strong>Helpful Tools for this Recipe</strong>
<a href="https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Quart-Jar-Wide-Mouth/dp/B00CNHCDR6/ref=as_sl_pc_as_ss_li_til?tag=gourmet068a-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=8a159ba4dcac38480d83c297feea7623&creativeASIN=B00CNHCDR6">Mason Jars</a>
<a href="https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Calphalon-Nonstick-7-qt-Dutch/dp/B003YL3MJS/ref=as_sl_pc_as_ss_li_til?tag=gourmet068a-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=d3452613f6f34ef7a1341d846ff9faae&creativeASIN=B003YL3MJS"> Dutch Oven</a>
<a href="https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KFC3516CU-Processor-Contour-Silver/dp/B01LX8I3R3/ref=as_sl_pc_as_ss_li_til?tag=gourmet068a-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=0d3ce2afcea5b3d3012213b112e81f02&creativeASIN=B01LX8I3R3">Mini Food Processor</a>
You might also like